Saturday, December 02, 2006

This is my dad.

This is something I wrote a long time ago, but I thought I'd put it here again because I've got pictures now.

This is my dad. This photograph came from Briarwood's website. My dad works at Briarwood. He's smiling, but I bet he's thinking "Please get this over with as soon as possible."

Some people (both men and women) are born with Warrior Spirits. My dad has a Warrior Spirit. I think it probably came in handy when he was a United States Marine, but I think God probably gave it to him for such a time as this. Lately, I've been seeing how far we have drifted as a church, as a culture, as a nation and a planet from God's design for us. There's so much sin in our world that Evil has been able to set up camp everywhere. This isn't a new phenomenon, but it's the first time that I've really contemplated it. In a world of Evil, we need some Warrior Spirits. A Warrior Spirit doesn't necesarily go around whacking people's heads off anymore. These days, I think that a Warrior Spirit is a leader who can rally us to grasp truth and find it worthy of our decisive action. That's the kind of Warrior Spirit my dad is. When I talk to him, I find myself seeing black and white in a world of gray. He makes me see the truth I knew was there all along.

I need that. I love my dad. I need a good dose of the truth right now because so much around me is hollow and false and wrong. I'd like to fight against that, even in my own world, but I can't even find my sword right now. I'm not sure how to go about it. My dad didn't know either, but he told me that Someone does and I know that Someone will tell me soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thatnpicture of your dad when he was young looks exactly like you!

susan said...

Do you think so? Now I know what I'll look like when I'm 65. Mostly, that means that in every picture I'll look like I'm about to do something really naughty. That's what he looks like in all of his pictures these days. We've got a lot in common personality wise for sure.

Su

G. Twilley said...

I thought I'd put this here [if you're like me, all your comments subsequently come to you via e-mail, if you're not like me, then...well...you may never know about this comment]. In any case, I met your dad yesterday. He's seemed very kind. I told him that you always have wonderful things to say about him and that you talk about him in wonderful ways when we see you. Just thought I'd let you know...