Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis
My favorite quotations thus far:
"I was as helpless as the female victim of arranged marriage who, upon seeing the horrible visage of her chosen mate, shrieks in vain."
"His world was filled with copulating inanimate objects and people getting their faces ripped off."
"The mortgage traders emitted such evil vibes that I carved a wide loop around them every afternoon...They were known for hurling phones at the heads of trainees and were said to have installed extra-long cords to increase their range."
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Carrie in her Froggie Pajamas.
I generally pretend not to notice when I get tagged to participate in blog-games like this, but this request came from Tony (Sand in the Gears), who I strongly suspect is a bit of the Real Deal and so I happily comply.
Here are the rules:
Link to the person who tagged you.
Post the rules on your blog.
Write 6 random things about yourself.
Tag 6-ish people at the end of your post.
Let each person know he/she has been tagged.
Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
1. My favorite smell right now is Carrie's breath. I can smell it when I go into her room and it makes me feel very deeply contented. When she was in the NICU, her nurse changed her clothes and stuffed her little froggie pajamas into a cubby under her crib. I found them and held them to my nose and smelled that little new baby and wept and wept and wept.
2. My favorite hobby right now is making up answers for the question my father-in-law will undoubtedly ask me when I see him at Thanksgiving. So, what ARE you going to do with this degree? Right now, I plan to say "Well, I've always wanted to live in an Airstream trailer," because the more of a non sequitur my answer is, the better to elicit that flummoxed expression of which I've grown so fond.
3. It occurs to me that the best things in my life (except for Carrie) were used and discarded by someone else.
4. Every time I see her husband I think she got what she deserved.
5. My husband brought my coffee in my Santa mug this morning and it was a greater expression of love than any jewelry or expensive gift could ever convey. (Especially when he covered Santa's eyes and said "Where's SANTA?!" And I said "THERE he is!")
6. I am learning to tend my own fire. And trying to tend to other people's fires is the number one thing I confess each week before Holy Communion.
I don't know if I'm allowed to link to all of these people, but I tag:
David (David has been including some of his market-color as of late. He is brilliant. And he is mine.)