Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Peachy Dreams

This is the last week of my Christmas break and the first week I've felt like doing anything I had planned to do. Finally, I'm feeling human. For some reason, this makes me think of summertime in Alabama. If we can get some rain and avoid late freezes, we should have a good peach crop this summer. I'm going to eat all of the peaches I can. I am going to pile peaches up in my bedroom and sleep on them. I am going to pie them, ice cream them, cobbler them and preserve them. I am going to eat them ripe and right off the trees. Then, I am going to work my way through the blackberry patches of Chilton County like a woman with a mission. A blackberry eating mission. And I am going to eat tomatoes and corn and okra. And I am going to roll around in produce-inspired delight and laugh to myself about how much I love summertime in Alabama. But before the peaches and blackberries and corn and okra comes strawberry time. This year, I am going picking by myself and I shall waddle out into the patch and do the best picking I can. I will laugh at myself.

But today is absolutely freezing. My old house stands stoically against the bluster outside. Today, I will knit and eat soup from a tin. I cannot open the back door because it is frozen shut, so I guess Corduroy won't get to go pee today. I hope she can hold it. Poor Corduroy.

Lately, I've been waking up at three 'o clock in the morning. Precisely. This morning, I woke up and wandered around the house and just looked around. My house, when it sleeps, is peaceful and calm. In the night, in the space between waking and sleep, I hear the voice of the Lord say No tragedy will befall you. I am present and working in all of your relationships. I protect your loved ones. I secure your future. And I believe Him.

6 comments:

Suzanne Owen Jones said...

i wake up as well in the night and hold on tight to scripture...oh the ghetto.

susan said...

Are you scared?

Anonymous said...

That's probably my favorite blog you've ever written. And I did the cookbook blog for you :)

susan said...

Thank you for liking my blog. I'm dreaming about fruit. It must be that my body is trying to get some vitamins. :-) My mom ate entire watermelons, so it runs in the family I guess.

Mmmm. Watermelon.

Michael said...

I wish God would say those sorts of things to me in the middle of the night!

susan said...

I think he has allowed me to feel his presence in a different way since I've been pregnant.