Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Orthodox Football

I saw the priest from the Orthodox parish down the street playing football with some children in the yard beside the church. Father! Father! Over here! Father! Look at me, Father! I'm open! His unruly vestments flapped joyfully behind him as he avoided the tackles of a dozen small hands and ran in a touchdown. I felt the laughter of Jesus resounding through the city, bouncing off the hospital, down the streets of the housing projects, across the Interstate, into the heart of God.

4 comments:

steviewren said...

I just found your blog and have spent at least an hour reading. You are very thought provoking. Thank you.

I was surprised to discover that we live in the same city. You seem too sophisticated a thinker to actually live here....maybe I just don't get around enough.

Anonymous said...

Susan, that is so beautiful. Manley and I just sat in front of the computer with our mouths hanging open for a second. Thank you for writing in public.

susan said...

I appreciate that very very much, steviewren. Thank you for giving me so much of your time. This, despite being a very sad city much of the time, is a remarkable place actually.

Rebekka, thank you for reading in public. It means more to me than I can say.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Susan, I loved this. What a beautiful thing to witness and to share. Thank you.